Thursday, October 23, 2008

P/T Confs


  • 5:45 PM: Sitting in my 5th floor room with Mr. K and I still can't believe how goddamn cynical he is. Please let me find a new profession before I get even 50% as burnt out and dismissive as he is. He's pretty funny, though, and it cracks me up how often he repeats his same ol' favorite stories and brassy bits of life-wisdom. I'm gonna start keeping a tally or something.

  • 6:24 PM: I've talked to 3 parents so far: M's (super smart but super lazy; chronic late-arriver), Y's (whip-smart and helpful, I have no complaints; she just happens to be in a shitty class), and C's (his mom is dead set on him taking the Regents, but I'm not so convinced; he needs to wake up and get a little more serious)... My PortespaƱol is funny. The kids are doing a great job of interpreting.
  • 7:50 PM: Talked to D and H's mom for evvvvvverrrrr... she cried. She talked. A lot. I feel for the woman. I think I would cry, too, if I were a single mother a) with three sons, b) who worked a full-time job, and c) had one extremely angry son who people think should be in residential behavioral treatment. We need to have faith, I told her through the interpreter. (Strange, when I don't know how much faith I have myself...) Now, MARIA'S MOM!! I can't stop gushing about the girl [whilst also describing to her the challenges we, as a class, are confronting]. Maria. Diamond in a coal mine. ...I feel like the universe conspired to make this flawless Point:Counterpoint about my first two months of teaching
  • 9:19 PM: Home again, home again, jiggity jig. I rode home in tha Lex with Mrs. P, Ms. D, and Ms. B... shared some therapeutic teacher chat and got off at our respective uptown Broadway stops. I'm gonna take a swig of Jack and bump the T.I.; let's call this a night.

No comments: